A teen ate leftover rice and noodles. Hours later, doctors amputated his legs and fingers


Hours after eating leftovers from a restaurant, a 19-year-old was admitted to the hospital with multiple organ failure and later had both his legs and all fingers amputated.

The Massachusetts college student had eaten rice, chicken and lo mein from a restaurant. Soon after, he felt abdominal pain and his skin turned a shade of purple, according to a report by The New England Journal of Medicine.

The teenager was admitted to a hospital for “shock, multiple organ failure, and rash” and his condition quickly declined. He experienced abnormal breathing, high blood pressure and vomiting. Before this, the student was overall healthy with regular drinking and smoking habits, the report said.

After further tests, he was diagnosed with meningococcal disease, which caused his stiff neck, nausea, respiratory collapse, shock, and organ failure, according to the report.

How to store rice: Eating leftover rice can make you very sick. Here’s how to properly store it

Alzheimer’s patients ‘devastated’: Alzheimer’s patients ‘devastated’ at Medicare limits on drug critics say need more testing

The condition is caused by bacteria, with symptoms like sudden fever and vomiting. The Centers for Disease and Control Prevention warns it can “lead to death in as little as a few hours.”

Over the course of his hospital stay, his condition worsened and he developed necrosis, the death of tissue and cells. At that point, doctors had to amputate both his legs and all of his fingers, according to the report. He also had a pacemaker for 13 days to treat his cardiac dysfunction.

Experts have warned against how to properly store leftover rice because items such as rice and pasta contain a bacterium called Bacillus cereus. The bacteria produces a toxin when heated and left out too long, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2019, a teenager died in his sleep after eating leftover pasta that wasn’t refrigerated overnight, as reported in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology.

The medical team learned that although the Massachusetts student received first dose of the meningococcal vaccine, he never received the recommended booster for the vaccine. His roommate also ate the leftover food and vomited but didn’t have life-threatening reactions.

The report concluded the patient was taken off the pacemaker and had a “relatively good recovery” from a complicated hospitalization.

Follow Gabriela Miranda on Twitter: @itsgabbymiranda

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Leftover food triggered disease that left teen without legs, fingers,84090,84091,84092,84093,84094

Source link